Thursday, October 3, 2019

Inky Wings @ A Vintage Journey

Hello friends, it's time once again for a new challenge at  A Vintage Journey and this time we were asked to create Inky Wings.  I took the challenge quite literally and pored alcohol ink on the Tim Holtz Wings.  I wanted them to appear to have a patina.  I found this great headstone at my local big box store so had to add some Halloween elements.





I began by covering the tombstone form with molding paste and spreading it with an old credit card.  Once that was dry, I sprayed on some color and let it drip down so it could get in all the texture.  For the RIP I stamped it on a piece of tissue paper with Archival Ink and then added it to the headstone with matte medium - the paper disappears and the lettering shows up.  I added the ornate center, grunged it up a little and sprayed some more.  To darken the edges, I used some Black Soot Distress Ink.
I had lots of different ideas as to what I wanted to use on this but in the end it came down to the Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells paper (one of my favorites) in the center and then adding the Tim Holtz wings after adding lots of ink.  I added some inked leaves and then the fun new eyeballs.
I hope you have enjoyed my adventure into Inky Wings.

Until next time - happy crafting,
S@ndy

10 comments:

  1. So perfect for Halloween! love the thouch of red, amazing! You interpreted our challenge in a fabulos way! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy x Your Halloween make is fabulous x I love the headstone and details used to age it x The G45 are one of my favourites too and Tim Holtz wings look great on her xx
    Have a great weekend xx
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the alcohol inky finish on those wings, and the whole piece is brilliantly eerie... it looks as though she's emerging from that ancient tombstone to come and get us all! Fabulously creepy piece of Halloween home decor.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally fabulous Sandy! I love your spooky steampunked tombstone!(try saying that fast!) You've created a perfect stone background and that figure looks just as though she is going to fly straight out of there. Love it ! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fabulous project! I love how it all came together and the patina wings look amazing 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful October! Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous Halloween creation Sandy, love G45's Steampunk Spells too and she looks wonderful with Tim's inked wings! Great texture on the tombstone and who doesn't love those fun new eyeballs, perfect finishing touch. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, what a super project and a great take on the theme, love it big time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great find at your store, and I love how you've brought it to life with texture and delicious color. The framed image is a little frightening, but adding those inky wings makes me not take her too seriously. Boo! Love your Halloween home decor piece, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful texture created on that fun tombstone Sandy! love the wings on the colorful framed image! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous piece, Sandy! I love the alcohol inky wings and the background.
    Hugs, Ann.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.