Thursday, August 31, 2017

Altered Art for A Vintage Journey

Hi friends,

I am home from my summer travels and thought it would be fun to join the challenge over at
A Vintage Journey where we are asking for Altered Art.  I just finished this Steampunk Bird and wanted to share.  Enjoy - and if you care to stay tuned, there is a tutorial below on how I did it.




All products used are linked below

Let's get started -



I found this bird in a shop while we were visiting Washington this summer, he was on sale so couldn't pass up a bargain.  As you can see - he was very shinny and wouldn't work for steampumk.


I proceeded by covering him with gesso, painted the beak yellow.  Since I wanted dimension I cut some gears from Grunge Board and glued them on avoiding the wing section which I had other plans for.


Once everything was glued in place I gave him another gesso coat and then black paint.


 Some Measuring Tape was wrapped around  the body.  Next came some gears cut using the same dies and metallic paper.  I carefully placed each one on top of the Grunge Board making it stand out.


Next came an array of metal gears and two keys that I planned to use for the wings.  I assembled the wings using paper feathers and the key with the clock.


For the hat I used a clock for the brim and stacked three magnets on top of each other, then covered with a stripe of black paper.  I added some small feathers and a tiny gear on the side and then placed a larger gear on top.  I wasn't planning the gear on the top of the hat but it fit perfectly so how could I resist?


Mr. Steampunk was finished off by adding more metal gears all around and for the goggles. I found a rusty old washer in my stash so used it with a Wind Up Key on his back.  Many more feathers were cut and placed on the tail.  I had some jewelry findings that worked for extra feathers and color. The legs were painted and he was good to go.


He now sits next to my computer watching all that goes on around the web.  I hope you have enjoyed this project as much as I have.

Stop by the Vintage Journey blog to join the fun of Altered Art and to see what all the rest of the Creative Guides made.  You will love it.

This is just perfect for the Steampunk Challenge over at San Dee and amelie's.

Stay Creative,
S@ndy

17 comments:

  1. Sandy, this is so cleverly done! What a brilliant alteration, love your steampunk bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic alteration Sandy. I love all the elements you added to create this steampunk style, the finished effects are brilliant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh S@ndy, what fun you must have had putting your fabulous steampunk bird together!! I adore his little goggles and wonderful hat and those tail feathers - WOW! Such a whimsical and very clever project, I love every single little detail!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant makeover, Sandy - your steampunk bird is an absolute treat! Great altering from those humble beginnings to create a unique piece of altered art.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bird is so whimsical. I just love him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love your steampunk bird Sandy xx A great alteration and fun decor piece for your home

    TFS and have a lovely weekend
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your steampunk bird is fantastic !Sandy . Super idea to give him a makeover with all those fabulous gears, cogs and metally bits and pieces. Great plume of feathers and some brilliant finishing touches - the goggles , the top hat and the wind up key .
    This guy really makes me smile !
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he's gorgeous !!! such a wonderful makeover Sandy. I love it! Great altered art! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh he is fantastic! I would never thought to do this in a million years, but the result is incredible! Love the steampunk details and fun color palette. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. what an incredible transformation Sandy! LOVE all the gears and metal layerings - that gorgeous tail feather and wings - the bolt eyes are so creative - great colors and design! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy! Wow, he's positively fabulous. LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great steampunk makeover, Sandy! I would have never seen the potential as you have, and I'm totally floored! The tape measure and the key are creative additions and his bolt eyes give him so much personality. Thank you for taking us through your process. Lucky you to have two wonderful pieces like this--love the fish, too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your bird, it is so imaginative and with a wonderful steampunk flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bird has so much character Sandy, I love him. I adore his hat and goggles. Fabulous piece. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh Sandy, what an amazing transformation, adore your steampunk bird! Love the measuring tape accent and his tail and wings are amazing, brilliant idea to use the keys! Thanks so much for sharing him, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to be so late - but wow I am glad I have had chance to see all this wonderful detail now! Sandy this is inspired - do different, so fun and SO CLEVER!!! I love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a charming little guy, Sandy! I love how much character you have given him!
    Thank you for sharing this gorgeous steampunk creation with us at SASPC!

    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.