Sunday, December 22, 2013

Exploding Canvas Frame

Hi Bloggers-

Hope everyone is ready for the big day which will be here soon. 

I just wanted to share a little project that I've put together for a holiday photo and to post as my last Tim Tag for 2013.  I'm so proud of myself for actually following through with my resolve to post a project each month this year;

I have been seeing these exploding canvas projects on youtube and wanted to try it.  

For December Tim made a beautiful tag using his Tattered Poinsettia Die and Clearly For Art Modeling Film from Wendy Vecchi.  He also used his Frosted Film but I couldn't find it at any of my local craft stores so I decided to go with what I had on hand.  I sometimes like to challenge myself to use what I have so I went "stash diving" and came up with what I needed using a few substitutes.

I started with a 6 X 6 canvas that I picked up from a bargain ben.  It was a home decor item that was already printed.  I bought it for the canvas so I simply painted a coat of gesso over it.  I next selected a piece of Christmas paper from a pad of DCWV papers.  When the gesso was dry I glued the paper to the canvas with Glue n' Seal - being sure that I got  a good coat of Glue n' Seal on the surface so the paper adheres completely.  When that was dry I poked a hole in the center of the canvas and then placed my scissors in the hole and cut in a sunray pattern. I made 7 cuts.  Next I rolled the cut sections to the outside of the canvas and hot glued it in place.

Now for the Poinsettias -

Using the Tattered Poinsettia Die and Clearly For Art Modeling Film I cut many layers not knowing how many I would want.  As it turned out I had some left over and will use them later.

After experimenting with different colors I decided on Aged Mahogany and Lettuce Alcohol Ink.  I simply dabbed it on using a felt pad and the color blending tool.


I wasn't happy with the glossy look of the leaves and since I didn't have the Frosted Film I tried another experiment and coated each one on the back with a thin coat of Glue n' Seal, then sprinkled some glitter on them. That worked very well.

A hole was poked in the center of each piece - then each leaf was heated with a heat gun and molded to the shape I wanted.  The great thing about the Clearly For Art Modeling Film is that if you don't like it the first time you can reheat and remold.  Got to love that!

After layering the flowers the way I liked them - I added a brad in the center. I used yellow but in the end they were covered with gold Stickles.  I placed the poinsettias on the canvas and when I was happy with the arrangement I glued them down with hot glue.

I then cut a few leaves from the Tattered Pinecone Die and placed them around the flowers and I was done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.