Thursday, January 8, 2015

Use A Portrait @ A Vintage Journey

Hi Everyone,

Welcome, today I'm the host over at A Vintage Journey where our new challenge is:
 
USE A PORTRAIT
 
All of us Tim fans know how much fun it is to use his "Found Relatives".  This time around I decided to use one of my own relatives, one of our beautiful granddaughters, Megan.  I have been wanting to do some mixed media and this was the perfect opportunity.
 
To see more great inspiration please stop over at A Vintage Journey by clicking here to see what the talented Creative Guides have made.


HERE'S HOW I DID IT!
 
 
I started out with an 8 X 10 canvas, added gesso, some tissue paper, some hot glue and then used Tim's Harlequin Layering Stencil with some embossing paste.  Then of course, I covered it with gesso again. 


Next I looked through my stash of Grunge Board punch outs, I got these some time ago on sale and as you can see, I bought them all. 
They are perfect for this kind of project.


I placed all the pieces where I thought I wanted them and glued some of them down.  As always, I changed my mind a few times before I added the final glue.  I used the Postage Stamp Die for the frame.  I embossed the center section for more texture.
 

 
After making my decision, another coat of gesso.
 
 
Next came the sprays and paints, I really can't explain how I do this, I just keep adding paints and sprays until I have the desired results.  I don't have any of the new Distress Spray Stains so I used my regular stains by removing the top of the bottle and pouring it in a Mini Mister.  Worked just great.  As you can see from the photo, I used sprays, brushes and baby wipes but the best tool of all is your fingers. 
A bit messy but worth it. 
 
The very last bit was to print and cut out my portrait,  I edged around it with Distress Ink and glued it into the frame.  I like the effect I got from gluing the bottom section to fit the frame with the top coming over the frame.
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed my messy but fun project and will join the challenge
 this time around.  Let's see some of your found relatives.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.