Today I am excited to share a mixed media project that I have been working on for a couple of days and I am so happy with the result.
While visiting with our grandson earlier this summer I took this photo with my phone and I really liked it so decided to make Matt into my very own Steampunk Guy. I could envision him with a top hat and a monocle. Here is how my vision turned out.
Since I now have this canvas completed - I plan to enter it in the contest over at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog where they are having a color challenge. You can read about it here. They are challenging us to use the colors in a photo they're showing. One of the main colors is blue and it was a true challenge for me to use blue since it is one of my least favorite colors. Who knows, I may be the lucky winner of the prize offered by Ellen Hutson.
I had an 8 X 10 canvas from my stash that I had already done some experimenting with. It already had some blue paint and some stars on it. The stars were an experiment with molding paste and a Tim Holtz Stencil. I cut two die cuts from the Frameworks Die from Tim and Sizzix.
Next I added a couple of pieces of paper that had been dry embossed with clocks and gears Texture Fades, both from Tim and Sizzix.
Using the Gadget Gear Die I cut some gears and then added them as well as some squares from Grunge board pieces, some metal gears & clocks from Idea-ology. I covered the entire thing with Gesso and then sprayed the entire canvas with Afternoon Delight Spray from Lindy's Stamp gang. I set everything aside to dry and went to work on my photo and top hat.
I sized the photo to fit on the canvas and then made the top hat on the computer using Microsoft Publisher, my all time favorite program for design.
After cutting out the photo I glued it on cardboard and then cut it out again. I edged it with Vintage Photo DI.
Next I added some stamping on the photo, I used black and then clear embossing powder. The stamps are an old set from Stampin UP.
After designing and sizing the top hat I cut it out making a template and then used a silver cardstock for the actual hat.
Next I dry embossed the hat, applied some Black Soot Distress Paint and then wiped off the excess. I then added a red ribbon hat band by cutting a slit in both sides of the hat and pulling the ribbon through.
I wanted the hat to have some demention so I added a double layer of pop dots in the center and single on the sides.
Next came adding Matt's name on the squares and then painting them and adding more texture. I painted the lettering with Barn Door Distress Paint.
I admit that I played a lot with all the elements but got everything just where I wanted it. I added the photo and hat using foam back tape. That made it pop off the canvas and added even more texture. So far I'm happy. I just love when a plan comes together the way you see it in your minds eye. I used embossing powder on some of the elements and also on the canvas itself. You can see the red on the edge of the canvas. At this point I simply continued to add things until I felt it was done. More gears and the wings on the hat all topped off with a piece from the Finnabair collection.
Hope you have enjoyed my adventure into mixed media and you are inspired to try one yourself. It's great fun.
Have a creative day.