Wednesday, April 23, 2014


Hi there all my blogger friends,

I'm thrilled to have been chosen as the winner of the Time After Time Challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.  As winner I get to be today's guest designer.  I hope you will stop by the Frilly and Funkie blog to see my project as well as those of the other talented design team members.  Don't forget to enter the challenge, you may win a prize or the opportunity to be a guest designer. 

The theme for this challenge is, "On The Runway", anything depicting sewing or fashion.  This is one of my favorite topics because it brings back fond memories of sewing lessons with my grandmother.

I made this "Sew Happy" shadow box depicting what happens "before the runway" -

Here's How I Did It!!
I knew I wanted the box to be 4.5" X 6" so rather than look all over for a box that size, I made my own out of chipboard and then covered it with paper from We R.  The color is called Harvest Sage and it has a white core that is good for embossing and sanding so that is just what I did.
After I finished sanding, I placed the panel inside the box.  For the panel on the outside, I simply cut an opening in a rectangle that was 1/4" smaller than the box on the inside with a  1/2" border all the way around.

When using a steel rule die I like to cover my chipboard with paper and then cut everything at one time.  I like to use double back tape because is neat, clean and smooth on the finished project.  Here I used a piece of silver metallic. After cutting, it is ready to decorate.

I cut this piece using Tim Holtz Sewing Edge Die and then colored the handle of the scissors with a Sharpie, added a brad and then added a couple buttons & a piece of  corrugated paper for the thread.

Next I cut the dress form using the Sewing Room Die but this time I cut the form and cover pieces separately because I wanted 2 different colors and I also wanted to emboss.  For the skirt portion I used the Caged Bird Die and cut it down to the size that fit the dress form.  I made a small tag that says "Sew" Happy, put it on a pink ribbon and added it to the dress form.

Next I started working on the accessories and embellishments.  I wrapped some lace and some thread around plain wooden spoons, added a couple of pins. 

I love little details so had to add a few more.  I made some flowers using my favorite method which is to cut several layers of vellum, dye them with ink and water in a Mini Mister and then dry them with a heat gun.  The edges curl up from the heat and then I add a brad to the center and topped it off with some Stickles. When I started gluing the flowers on I decided to add a little chipboard needle that I found, I colored it with a silver pen and stuck it in.

I always think my tutorials are going to be short but it never seems to work out that way.  We're almost there - next I found a tape measure in my stash and used it to make the topper.  I always edge with Distress Ink and this time I used Frayed Burlap on everything.  I added a Tim Holtz knob in the center and it was done!
Well, there you have it.  Hope you have enjoyed my project and will try one of your
Sew happy,

Saturday, April 5, 2014

April Tag - I see the Light-

Hi Everyone,

No one is more surprised than me that I'm posting my April tag so early in the month.  It is only the 5th and I am ready to go.  I used the Tattered Pinecone Die (as Tim did) to make the roses for this one.  I have to admit that it was fun and the more I made, the better I liked it.  I try and think out of the box so I started digging in my stash and found a fabulous glass block that I had purchased at Hobby Lobby.  It came with a stand and small light bulb for the inside.  Here's what happened..................
A night light for you to dream by-

It started out to be for T!m's April tag and it works. I think it will also work for A Vintage Journey challenge which is A Little bit French.

I started out with the glass block and stand from Hobby Lobby.  The light bulb that came with the block was clear and I changed it out for a white one because I wanted the light to be softer.
I next covered the front of the block with T!m's Frosted Film.  Then I stenciled the Frosted Film with the Bubble Stencil from T!m's line using Peeled Paint Distress Paint. I only stenciled in the center because I knew I wanted to use a stamped image and didn't want the bubbles to show through the stamped image when the light came through it. 
 Next I got out my new stamp set, Nature Walk and stamped the face several times with Black Soot and then embossed with Ranger's Clear Embossing Powder.
After softly water coloring the image I cut out and edged with black.
I then placed the image on the Frosted Film and covered it with another layer of Frosted Film which made her recede into the background and become more arterial looking. 
So Far - So Good!
Nest came the Trellis using the new Trellis Die.  I used two layers of manila paper and one layer of T!m's Tissue Paper.  I cut out some vines using the Spring Greenery Die.  After edging everything with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink  and bending the leaves to give it some demention I weaved  the vines on the trellis making it look as if they were growing there.
I stamped the Eifel Tower and the word Dream on the Frosted Film with StazOn Jet Black ink and then added the trellis and roses.
I used the Spring Greenery Die again to cut out some leaves for around the face.  After making a small Rosette I added a metal Fleur de Lye.
I must admit that ribbon of any kind is my nemesis and this project was no exception.
After many attempts with all kinds of ribbon and a trip to the store I wound up with this mesh ribbon and decided it was good.
Hope you enjoy and will leave me some comments-