The theme over at A Vintage Journey is "All Sewn Up" chosen by the talented Brenda.
I have lots of sewing related items "sew" I was very happy to see the topic for this challenge.
Today I am sharing a birthday card for my wonderful mother. It is a standard A2 card but by the time I finished I had some weight on it. I will take it to her personally so don't need to worry about postage.
This post turned out to be way longer than I originally thought so you may need a beverage and a snack. Sit back and relax.
I had some lovely paper in my stash from, I believe, Lost & Found. It has a solid side and on the other is some beautiful glittered designs and more sewing related items that are printed on.
When I make something for the first time I always make a template to be sure I get the measurements right. I made mine from some scrap white paper.
When I was sure what I wanted to do I got out the paper.
I cut my paper 12" X 5.5" and then scored it at 3.75", 8" and 8.25". The quarter inch space is needed for the thickness of dress form using the Honey Pop Paper.
This paper is lovely but it has a white core so did some edging with Walnut Stain Distress Marker.
I used a Flip It Die from Sizzix #659178. Flip It's are lots of fun but for this card I needed a little more real estate so made some adjustments along the way. I cut the paper so it was the same height as the die 5.5" and slide it into the die avoiding the ends which I did not want to cut. I used the magnetic platform but also used a small piece of washi tape to hold everything where I wanted it.
You can see from the photo above I used an On The Edge Cutting Pad so I only got the cuts that I was looking for. The die makes the score lines for you so it is easy to fold with the flip tabs on the front as shown below.
I used Tim's Sewing Edge Die on the other end.
Next I added my inside panel using some of the decorative paper and some manila cardstock. After that I added the dark panels on the squares. The decorative die came in the die set. I then did the same to the front using light panels.
Next came the dress form. I used a stamp that I made from cutting out the dress form, then cutting away the parts I wanted, from the Sewing Room Die using Fun Foam and then using that as a stamp.
I have already added my sentiment so I could get the dress form positioned right.
Next comes the dress form -
For this I used Honey Pop Paper from Inky Antics, if you haven't tried this, you need to. I cut the dress form out and then cut it in half because you only need half for this method. On both sides of the dress form I added adhesive, I used double back tape because it is strong and thin.
Remove the tape from only one side and line it up with the score line at the 8" mark. Then remove the tape from the other side and fold the flap over on the sticky surface being sure you have that quarter inch strip at a 90% angles, like a book binding.
All that is left is the decorating. I added some details to the scissors and then added a couple of buttons and then added some Vintage Photo to the dress form using a Distress Marker. I stamped on the needle and thread and called it done.
Thanks for stopping by and I love to hear your comments.
That just about sews it up. Have a great weekend-