Thursday, October 23, 2014

Compendium of Curiosities - Book of Spells

Hi Everyone,

I've had this project in the works since the challenge was first posted over at Studio L3 but somehow other things got in the way of the completion.  So here I am on the last day and I have finally finished it.  I like that challenge #13 happened to fall in October just before Halloween. I'm hoping to snag the wonderful prize offered by the sponsor of this fun challenge - Inspiration Emporium or perhaps some goodies from Tim and Mario.

I had the Worn Cover in my stash so got that going by tearing some of Tim's Tissue Wrap and gluing it on in random places. I didn't want to cover the entire thing so that some of the design of the cover showed through.  I did some spraying using Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays.

When the sprays were dry I used some molding paste and some of Tim's great stencils to add texture to the panels.  I used some Distress Paint with stencils too.  Then I sprayed some more.  I finally added the face which I made of Ice Resin.  You can see a complete tutorial on Ice Resin by clicking here.

I had some Grunge Board letters and parts so started laying them out.  At the end I  moved the hinges.  I colored my letters and then added Glossy Accents over the top to add shine and demention.

I decided on red so the cover would have color balance and it also looked like blood.

Next I ran some Linen Ribbon through the holes in the side and tied a knot.  Then I added a Chain Clasp so I could hang some things later.  I was going to hang the Monocle with the eye at the end of the clasp but then I thought that it would look funny as a real  monocle!  Sometimes I just don't know what happens to my brain when I'm working on a project.

I wanted the face to be that of a 'mad scientist' so needed to add a few elements that looked like a laboratory.  I cut out the small bottle from the Apothecary Die and trimmed it down a little.  I then colored it with DI and covered it with Glossy Accents.
I filled some Corked Vials with stuff I had hanging around.  Some micro beads and some glitter.  I used rub-ons on the vials then glued them on top of the head.  I had some space left on the left side so added a light bulb - what a bright idea! I feel like the mad scientist.

Ok folks, that it for this challenge - I hope you have enjoyed my science experiment and will try one of your own.

Have a crafty weekend,


  1. Oh wow Sandy, what an amazing alteration! Such an original idea, love it!

  2. Holy mackerel! Sandy your cover is outrageously cool. Love the head and the bottles on top... plus the texture on the cover itself. So many fantastic details! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CC3C.

  3. Yeah Baby!!! TOTALLY WONDERFUL AND SPOOKY!!! LOVE the bottles on the head...what an imagination! Anyone would want to open this if is was laying on the coffee table! SO SO COOL!!! Thanks so much for playing in our Worn Cover challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

  4. Super cool and funky, Sandy! Love it.

  5. Very cool worn cover! What a fun and spooky keepsake!!! Thanks for playing along with us at CC3C!

  6. Very cool Halloween piece, Sandy. Thanks for sharing it on CC3C!

  7. Thanks for the visit to my blog. I love your worn cover. The face intrigues me...I am off to the ice resin site now to check it out.

  8. Gosh that is SO inventive Sandy! Love it. Jenny x


I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.