Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Happy Accident in the Studio -

Hi My Friends,

Today while working in my studio I had a happy accident.............Don't ya just love when that happens?

 I belong to wonderful scrapbook club in our community and have been working on some samples for next months project.  For the month of April I was to make a sample using Karen Burniston's Pull Tab Pop Up Die.  I had one cut out and assembled and liked it very much.  So far so good - right?  Then it dawned on me that this would be a great way to show the smudge technique that is Tim's challenge for the month of March, you can see it here.  I missed posting last month and wanted to keep up with the 2014 tags.  Here is what I came up with, A MINI CLIPBOARD............
Hope you like it.

The photo is a little deceiving,  I entire thing measures 3' X 5", I did say mini.

When you pull on the ring at the bottom it reveals the second stamping
 (smudge technique).

I have to admit that I struggled with this technique.  Not that I didn't like it, just that I wasn't sure how to present it. Then after making the card I had the clipboard idea and went for it.  I'm pretty happy with the result.  It's cute, shows the technique, and is different.

Here's How I Did It!!
I started out with the clipboard of course.  I cut a piece of chipboard 3' X 5', rounded the corners and inked it with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.  I then cut out the top of the clipboard using silver paper with Tim's Mini Clipboard (movers & shapers) Die.  Since I used a metallic paper for the clip, I edged it with Wendy Vecchi's new Archival Ink by Ranger, Watering Can. 
Then I cut a strip of manila file folder 2.5' wide using the folded edge of the folder.  I wanted to use the folded section as the top.  After gluing this piece together only at the top, I scored the rest as shown below.  The scoring will depend on the overall size of the project. 
I next cut a strip of paper to add at the bottom, this will later wrap around both sections and be connected in the back and then glued to the clipboard.  This is the only place it is attached to the clipboard.
Next step was to cut a notch in the bottom to act as a pull tab after adding my Tim Holtz Ring Brad.

Next thing - I cut a piece of manila paper the same size as the front of the folder where I will do my stamping and then add it to the folder.  Since I planned to use Distress Marker to mist on the tag with the New TH Spritzer I decided to use Archival Ink since it would not smear when it came in contact with the Distress Ink in the marker.  I used Cornflower Blue for the first layer.  I did not re-ink the tool for the second section so it would have that lighter look.

 Next I used one of Tim's stencils and Orange Blossom Archival.  Not a lot of difference in the color here as there was quite a lot of ink on the tool.

Next up - the TH Spritzer.  This is a new tool for me.  I have seen them before but didn't have one until recently.  I spritzed through Tim's Honeycomb Stencil on one side of the paper. I used the Faded Jeans Distress Marker.  I intentionally spritzed lighter on the second one to keep it from being so intense.
I then finished off my project with the new Nature Walk stamp set using Gathered Twigs Distress Ink for the nest and Chipped Sapphire for the bird.  For the FLY I used
Salvage Stickers and Rub Ons from Tim's line for the rest.
This certainly turned out to be a very long post for something so small!
Enjoy the rest of your week,

1 comment:

  1. Small maybe, but totally gorgeous!!! I really like this design, very clever!


I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.