Sunday, February 24, 2013

Challenge: Metal-ology

Since it is one of my missions this year to take part in some challenges, I am playing along with Simon Says Stamp and Show this week.  The Challenge is Metal-ology and here are my pieces.


This was lots of fun and this time I remembered to take pictures along the way.

When I was at CHA last month I saw some awesome new Media Mixage items from Spellbinders and Susan Lenart Kazmer. I got some the other day while I was out shopping with Susie.  The die cut paper fits perfectly in the metal piece....So nice.
When I got home I started digging around in my stash and found some great stuff.
 Lots of Tim Holtz goodies along with some great old clock parts.
I used some "gear" paper from Graphic 45, Steampunk Debutante Line.  When it was glued inside I started putting the layers on. 
Once I had it all arranged I added the crown and then filled the bezel with Ice Resin.  This is a great product and easy to use.  When it is completely cured it is very clear and durable.  The hardest part is not touching it for 24 hours.  I always have trouble waiting for glue to dry so this is a real test of my patients.

Last came the finishing touches, the wings.  More time spent waiting for glue to dry. For the final step I will  add a jump ring and chain to wear it as a necklace.  I had so much fun, I made two more smaller ones to give as gifts.

25 comments:

  1. I love those Susan Lenart bezel pieces from Spellbinders! You've filled them with AWESOME metal goodness! Fabulous pieces of Art here for sure! I love them! Thank you for showing us your metals at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! For the past month everytime I walk into JoAnn's I look at the display for the Media Mixage. Now the next time I think I'm buying some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duh.. I emant to also say these pieces are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, what a fab job you did. Thanks for giving me some helpful ideas. I have a ton of clock parts but the ideas part is what I lack.
    Liz, Prescott, AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying to myself just to say that my DIL took me to JoAnns today and I saw the display for the Media Mixage. For 40% off. I couldn't remember where I had seen the artwork but I bought it anyway. After I got home I looked online and remembered that I saw it here on Sandy's blog. I'm so excited!! Thanks for sharing and for helping the pieces of my mind fall into place. I love it when that happens!!!
      Love, Liz Walters
      Prescott, AZ

      Delete
  5. Sandy you did a great job on these. I have seen them in the stores but not paid much attention. I will now. I like your work very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous jewellery pieces, love the added wings and all the metal bits and pieces. Great design and love the step by steps. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These area really fantastic! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea! It makes great pins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you incorporated the clock coil and the wings onto your art pieces. Very original and OOAK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really awesome! Love that you used Tim and Finn's metal pieces. Thanks for the step by step pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy, Sand, Sandy... I am so in love with this piece that you've created. It is right down my alley. This is totally off the hook! Lovely piece of art. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely fantastic! Love the metal work! I have become a big steampunk fan and I haven't seen better then this! I have read about the ICE but don't understand the difference between its use and how it compares to the Glossy Accents that I have been using. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thought I would tell you that I have used Glossy Accents many times on my pieces. The resin is crystal clear, harder and does not yellow or crack. It is more expensive than Glossy Accents but on a piece that you want to keep or wear for a long time it is worth it.

      Delete
  13. This is amazing! Love the metalogy you've made a lot! Really fabulous work on filling them up! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of all the Metalology challenge pieces, I think your is the most beautiful by far! Simply smashing and a great tutorial! Really Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cool! I LOVE those bezels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandy...Congrats on your TOP THREE recognition from Simon Says Stamp and Show's Metalogy Challenge last week! Love your jewelry pieces using the Ice Resin! They are gorgeous...very deserving recognition! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this piece! Its so inspiering. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous project i shall be looking out for those great products x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Sandy, those are totally awesome. Congratulations on your SSSS win!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, man! Love these pieces!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.